VMware heeft vorige week een white paper gepubliceerd met daarin de best practices over het draaien van Microsoft’s SQL Server op VMware ESX:
– SQL Server generally performs very well on VMware Infrastructure. This has been consistently demonstrated in a series of studies on scalability and performance from VMware, EMC, Dell and Brocade.
–The vast majority of SQL Server deployments are good candidates for virtualization and can benefit from improvements offered by a virtualized infrastructure, such as improved management, availability, and scalability, thus reducing overall TCO.
– VMware Infrastructure makes it simpler and less expensive to provide higher levels of availability for SQL Server. VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS), VMware High Availability (HA), and the VMware Site Recovery Manager Plug-In (SRM plug-in) make it possible to eliminate planned downtime, reduce unplanned downtime, and recover rapidly from component, systematic, or sitewide outages.
– You can continue to leverage the most common SQL Server high availability implementations such as failover clustering, database mirroring, and log shipping in VMware Infrastructure 3.
– VMware Infrastructure features such as templates and cloning, together with VMware Lab Manager and VMware Stage Manager, make it easier to provision and stage SQL Server virtual machines into production deployments.
– VMware Consolidated Backup and vCenter Data Recovery can provide adequate backup functionality to protect SQL Server virtual machines in a VMware Infrastructure environment.
He document van 22 pagina’s is hier als PDF te downloaden.
Bron: The VMguy.